Prof. Ifeoma Nwoye May
H.O.D BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Applied Science & Technology
Faculty of Management & Social Science
Faculty of Languages & Communication Studies
Faculty of Agriculture
DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
The Department of Business Administration is one of the departments in the Faculty of Management and social sciences. The Department started full academic activities along with other pioneer Departments during the 2006/2007 session with 36 students. Messrs Abdulkadir Danlami Sani, Abubakar Mohammed Mawoli, Ango Nuhu Aliyu and Bashir Danlami Sarkin Daji were the pioneer academic staff of the Department. The department graduated its first set of students during the 2009/2010 academic session. The Department currently runs two (2) programmes, viz: B.Sc Business Administration and B.Sc Accounting.
The broad philosophy of the Department is to provide a platform for developing the mind and impacting both theoretical and practical knowledge for individual self confidence, initiative and self-reliance in the field of Business Administration and Accounting. Towards this end, the mission and vision statements of the programmes are captured below
The programme seeks to produce managerial manpower with appropriate knowledge; skills and aptitude to handle the ever growing and changing business environment, provide sound and qualitative managerial education to students in the various fields of management (i.e. marketing, finance, human resource, and operations management) including Actuarial Science at first degree levels.
To be among the top five (5) programmes in terms of quality and standard of academic programme in the University and among the top ten (10) Business schools in Nigeria.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The major objectives of this programme are to:
- Provide basic knowledge and skills needed for the understanding and analysis of problems related to the management of industrial, commercial and other human organizations:
- Equip students with knowledge and skills of decision making; especially the analytical skills needed for recognizing and solving problems;
- Develop in students, leadership and interpersonal relations skills in management;
- Engaging in research activities that contribute to the advancement of the frontiers of management science as well as solutions of practical magement problems of business and government organizations.
The minimum admission requirement is credit passes in five (5) 0’ level subjects, includingEnglish Language, Mathematics and Economics in not more than two sittings.
In addition to satisfying the UTME candidates’ requirements, applicants should possess any of the following:
- A minimum of 9 points (i.e. minimum of a three credit passes in relevant subjects) in IJIVIB ‘A’ level examinations;
- National Diploma in Business Studies. Accounting. Insurance. Banking and Finance or any other related discipline with at least a lower credit; and
- Associate membership by examination of the following professional bodies: CIIN, ICAN, CIBN, CIS, CIA. etc.