Dr. Olajide M. Folaranmi
H.O.D CONTINUING EDUCATION
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Applied Science & Technology
Faculty of Management & Social Science
Faculty of Languages & Communication Studies
Faculty of Agriculture
DEPARTMENT OF CONTINUING EDUCATION AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMNT
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Continuing Education and Community Development started in 2008/2009 Session in the Faculty of Education and Arts, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University Lapai, Niger State, Nigeria. The department offers courses leading to the award of B.Ed in Adult Education in two areas, namely, B.Ed (Adult Education) in specialized practice areas and B.Ed/B.Sc (Adult Education) with academic teaching subjects in Arts, Social Science or Sciences.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The B. Ed Adult Education is designed to produce highly qualified personnel who can effectively plan, implement and manage adult and non-formal education, literacy, mass education as well as continuing education programmes for the purpose of eradicating illiteracy and ensuring lifelong learning among the citizens of the State and the Nation at large.
The main objective of the Department is to produce adult educators who have the mastery of Adult Education as a distinct field of study with a sound academic and professional training as contained in the National Policy on Education, namely
- To provide functional literacy education for adults who never had the advantage of any formal education;
- To provide functional and remedial education for those young people whom prematurely dropped out of the formal school system;
- To provide further education for different categories of completers of the formal education system in order to improve their basic knowledge and skills:
- To provide in-service on-the-job, vocational and professional training for different categories of workers and professionals in order to improve their skills;
- To give the adult citizens of the country necessary aesthetic, cultural and civic education for public enlightenment.
- To produce adult educators that can provide community based educational programmes and also teach within the formal setup of the educational system.
With the attainment of the above objectives, graduates of adult education will be able to fit into various fields of human endeavour both in the private and public sectors of the economy. They will be able to provide the much needed expertise to Colleges of Education which has been mandated by the National Commission of Colleges of Education to compulsorily include Adult Education in the curriculum of the Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) across the country beginning from the academic year 2011.
Candidates for admission into any of the B. Ed Adult Education degree programmes either in specialised practice areas or with academic Teaching Subjects in Arts, Social Sciences or Science, must satisfy the IBB University’s minimum entry qualifications, which stipulate 5 credits including English Language and Mathematics in GCE/SSCE O Levcl, NECO/WAEC (in not more than two sittings).
Five credit passes in the Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) or Five credit/merit passes in Teachers’ Grade II Certificate including English and a pass in Mathematics, at not more than 2 sittings or its equivalent in relevant subject areas in addition to an acceptable pass in University Matriculation Examination (UME) qualifications for admission into the University four 4-year degree programme in Adult Education.
Any of the following qualifications is admissible:
- A pass at credit level in a relevant Diploma programme provided the University English requirement has been satisfied.
- Two (2) passes in relevant subject areas in advanced level with SSCE/GCE ‘0’ level credit passes in three other subjects at not more than two (2) sittings or
- Passes in two (2) major subjects in relevant areas in the NCE with GCE ‘0’ level credit or its equivalent in two (2) other subjects. E4ption is accepted as a third ‘A’ level subject.