Dr. Abdul Mohammed
H.O.D HUMAN KINETICS AND HEALTH EDUCATION
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Applied Science & Technology
Faculty of Management & Social Science
Faculty of Languages & Communication Studies
Faculty of Agriculture
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN KINETICS AND HEALTH EDUCATION
Sports Science and Health Education programme is designed to meet the need of producing competent teachers who could impart this knowledge and skill of Sport and Health Education to idents at various levels.
The programme was initiated as a B.Sc .Ed Sport Science by Prof. M. A. Chado who was also the pioneer Vice — Chancellor of the University. Prof Amina Kaidal later became the Head of Department and together with Prof. M. A. Chado, produced the first curriculum for Exercise and Sports Science, then in the Faculty of Applied and Natural Sciences. After careful assessment, the department was renamed “Sports Science and Health Education”. This necessitated the transfer of the programme to the Faculty of Education and Arts.
The philosophy of Sports Science and Health Education programme is necessitated by the desire to produce graduates with sound scientific knowledge and skills in health science and sports to meet the developmental needs of high sports performance fitness of individuals and communities, and also be competent to teach sports science and Health Education.
To expose students to scientific knowledge, skills and practice which prepares them to be scientifically sound in designing exercises for individual clients and organizations that require fitness for healthy living and also prepare students for effective teaching.
Specifically the programme is designed to:
- Provide students with in-depth scientific knowledge in exercise and high sports performance taking into cognizance the physical, psychological and mental demands of exercise and sports.
- Provide students with knowledge of the relationship of good nutrition and physical activity performance, the role of physical activity in health and fitness, and physical activity and the aging process.
- Provide the students with skills and competence to effectively teach health education at secondary schools.
- The B.Sc.Ed sports science and health education programme prepares students to take up higher degrees and scholarship in areas of sports science and health education and other related fields.
- Produce highly motivated students who could efficiently teach various sports skills in secondary schools.
- Prepare the students to take up career in coaching and management of fitness centres.
- Prepare students adequately with skills and techniques to be self employed.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
The duration for the programme is 4 years for UTME candidate and 3 years for Direct Entry.
Candidates seeking admission into this programme must satisfy the general requirements for admission into IBB university Lapai (5 Credit passes including English and Mathematics) in addition, they must have credit pass in Biology or Physical Education and any other two relevant subjects obtained in not more than two sittings.
Candidates seeking admission into the 3 year programme must satisfy’ the general 0 level requirements for admission into IBB University, Lapai. In addition, they must have at least, a merit pass in Diploma in Physical and Health Education or Human Kinetics and Health Education from recognized University, NCE in Physical and Health Education, good passes in at least two Advanced level GCE.