H.O.D MASS COMMUNICATION
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Applied Science & Technology
Faculty of Management & Social Science
Faculty of Languages & Communication Studies
Faculty of Agriculture
DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATION
The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) degree in Mass Communication of the Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University provides broad based academic and professional skills in the core Mass Communication areas of journalism and media studies as well as the adjuncts public relations, advertising, book publishing, film, and wire services. Besides training in communication techniques, students will have copious opportunities for hands-on experience in their fields. The programme requires additional dose of coursework in social sciences, humanities, religions and globalization. Successful completion of the programme will lead to the award of B.Sc Mass communication.
Philosophy and objective of the programme
The philosophical foundation of Mass Communication is derived from the following concepts
- That information is power
- That information is propeller for both vertical and horizontal development of the society
- That information is an accelerator to any meaningful and sustainable democracy, and national development
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The major aims and objectives of mass communication for this university include, but are not limited to the following:
- Training of students in the art and science of Mass Communication, a discipline which includes print and broadcast journalism, public relations, advertising, film production, and photo journalism
- To teach students to think critically and creatively while preparing them for careers in journalism, mass communications and related fields and for graduate study.
- To train and retrain working journalists, broadcasters, public relations, and advertising practitioners for leadership positions in their various organizations in Nigeria and the rest of the world.
- To train media men and women that would serve as trustees of the public; that would be socially responsible to the communities they serve by being accurate, fair, balanced and objective in their reportage of societal issues
- To produce mass communicators who will protect the basic principle of peoples’ right to know
- To assist in improving the standard of mass media industry.
Candidates for UTME entry should possess at least five O Level credits in arts and social sciences subjects including English language, Literature in English and Mathematics obtained at not more than two sittings. UTME subjects should be any three arts and social sciences subjects.
For direct entry, candidates must possess a diploma (at upper credit level) in Journalism, Mass Communication, Public Relations and Advertising, with five O level credits, including English Language, Literature in English and mathematics.