Department of History & International Studies
The Department of History, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, was established in September 2006, in the Faculty of Education and Arts. The establishment of a Department of History and Archaeology is a commendable step, taken by the University, as the teaching and research of history contributes immensely to the progress and development of nations. It is also commendable, as this will help bring to light, the rich, but little studied and so much neglected cultural heritage of the peoples of Niger State and its environs. The Department took off at the Kobo Campus, Lapai with eleven pioneer students and three members of its teaching staff that grew to six by the end of the session.
The Philosophy of the Department
The B.A. History (Honours) programme is designed to produce world-class history graduates adequately trained in history and historiography as well as global cultural heritage for societal development.
The objectives of the Department are to:
- Advise students on rewarding methods of study and acceptable behaviours;
- Equip students with good grounding and adequate mastery of the concepts and ideas of history;
- Inculcate intellectual training in History and Historiography as well as our Cultural heritage
- Prepare students for further academic challenges in advanced Historiography and research methodologies;
- Develop the students in both character and learning and provide them with adequate knowledge of with a view to preparing them for further challenges in private and career lives;
- Build in students the ability to cope with the tasks of their future professional callings